To be able to provide a gambling facility which is not the main function of the premises, such as gaming machines, and where the stakes and prizes are very low, you may need to apply for a gambling permit.
We are responsible for issuing the following permits:
- Unlicensed family entertainment centre gaming machine permits
- Club gaming permits and club machine permits
- Alcohol-licensed premises gaming machine permits
- Prize gaming permits.
Gaming machine permits in alcohol-licensed premises
There is an automatic entitlement to make available two gaming machines where:
- Premises are licensed to sell alcohol for consumption on the premises
- Premises has a bar at which alcohol is served
- No requirement that alcohol is served with food only
- Machines are of category C or D only.
Remember, if you propose to offer more than two machines, you will need to apply for a Licensed Premises Gaming Machine Permit.
How do I apply for a permit?
We must be notified of your intention to provide these machines by completing and returning the application form with a one-off fee of £50. Licensed Premises Gaming Machine Permits cost £150.00, where a current permission issued under the Gaming Act 1968 is not in place.
If the alcohol premises licence is transferred, the new premises licence holder must serve a new notice of intention or apply to transfer the gaming machine permit.
For more information regarding the different categories of gaming machines, please see the Gaming Machine Categories.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Club gaming permits and club machine permits
- Club gaming permits authorise members' clubs and miners' welfare institutes to provide:
- No more than three gaming machines (made up from categories B3A, B4, C or D)
- Equal chance gaming
- Games of chance e.g. Pontoon and 'Chemin De Fer'
Club machine permits authorise members' clubs and miners' welfare institutes to provide no more than three gaming machines (made up of categories B3A, B4, C or D)
To apply you must submit your application to us with the appropriate fee.
For more information please contact the licensing department
Victoria Square House
Tel: 0121 230 6666