Tenant Incentive Scheme
We offer financial support to existing social housing tenants wanting to move to a smaller home.
The aim of the scheme is to free up some of the social housing homes in our area for younger families in need.
This scheme is voluntary. No tenants will be forced to downsize.
Advice and support is available from our Housing Advice team.
What could I receive?
The council has introduced an extra 'High Demand Area' payment of £2,500. This has been introduced due to the current shortage of larger family homes in the area. The total amount of money local people could receive depends on how many bedrooms are released by the move.
Downsizers will receive:
- A fixed payment of £1,000
- An additional 'High Demand Area' payment of £2,500
- £500 per bedroom released.
The maximum payment that can be made is £5,000.
Who is eligible for the scheme?
The Tenants Incentive Scheme is available to applicants who met the following criteria:
- Are an existing Housing Association tenant on an Assured tenancy, and
- living in the Council area and
- whose Housing Association landlord confirms that the nomination rights for the property being vacated will be given to the Council
- Are in a family sized house - 2 bedrooms or larger
- Want to move to a property that is at least 1 bedroom less
- Are registered on Devon Home Choice
- Where the move will not result in overcrowding
How do I apply?
For more information about the scheme and to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also call our offices on the number below and ask to speak to the Housing Advice team.