Housing Benefit and Universal Credit

Due to the impact of COVID-19 we are currently experiencing large volumes of new claims and notification of changes. We have also had to make a number of changes to our systems following announcements from Central Government such as Local Housing Allowance rates, additional earnings disregards, changes to working tax credits, changes to Universal Credit and also additional funding of up to £150 to be added to bills for those in receipt of council, tax reduction.

The annual Council Tax bills and Benefit notification letters that have only just been issued will not include any of these changes. Please bear with us; we are working our way through these updates and revised notification letters and bills will be issued to you over the coming weeks. There is no need to contact us regarding this.

If you are experiencing financial hardship as a result of the coronavirus outbreak, and you need to help towards rental costs on the property you live in, then you need to make an application for Universal Credit.

You must not claim Housing Benefit unless you fall into one of the following categories:

  • You are of pension age.
  • You or your partner receive severe disablement allowance.
  • You live in temporary or supported accommodation.
If you already receive Housing Benefit and need further help, please see Extra Financial Help to make an application for Discretionary Housing Payments.

Use our online service to keep track of your Housing Benefit payments.
Use our online service to check payments, update us and more.
Most people who want to make a new claim will need to claim Universal Credit, but there are some exceptions.
If something has changed recently, such as your earnings or self employed income, let us know about it here.
If you have been asked to complete a Benefits Review Form, you can do so here.
If you are on low income, you may be able to apply for Council Tax Reduction (CTR) to reduce the amount you have to pay.
Please use this form to send us evidence to support your application for housing benefit or council tax reduction.
If you need to submit a claim for Discretionary Housing Payments or Exceptional Hardship Fund (for Council Tax assistance) you can do so here.
Are you having trouble making ends meet? Find out how to get help here.
You must contact us in writing within one month of receiving your decision letter.
You must contact us in writing within one month of receiving your decision letter.
If you have an enquiry for the Benefit Team, you can contact them here.
Find out about repaying overpaid Housing Benefit.
What is benefit fraud and how you can report it.
Local Housing Allowance rates for the West Devon area.