Are you ready for winter in West Devon?
West Devon Borough Council is launching its annual 'Are you ready for winter?' campaign, which offers top tips on how to beat everything the winter throws at us.
The Council has put together a series of links and phone numbers to our partner agencies covering health and wellbeing, weather, winter travel, mental health and flood advice, telling you where you can find important safety alerts and information quickly and easily.
One great way to stay ahead of the game is to sign up to social media alerts from vital public services - that way, you'll find out on your phone about impending bad weather and bad road conditions before you ever have to leave the house.
Cllr Tony Leech, West Devon Borough Council's Lead Member for Health and Wellbeing, said: "Please don't wait for things to get hazardous before you link in with these important public services. They have vital information on highways, weather conditions and flooding and will help make sure you are as prepared as possible for everything winter can throw at you. They're also offering important advice on mental health and how to look after yourself during a period that some people find particularly difficult.
"While up to date safety information is at the fingertips of those with computers or smart phones, we've also provided phone numbers to many of our partner agencies for those who don't use the internet.
"I'd encourage you to follow us, and our partners, to keep you safe this winter season. That way you will get the most up-to-date information about what is happening in your area."
To stay safe this winter and stay as prepared as possible for cold snaps, flooding and anything else that this winter throws up, here's where you can find important information quickly and easily:
Our Winter Ready Page
You can also find advice about prevention and protection from flooding, information about how to reduce fuel bills and Covid information for residents and businesses. If you'd like to speak to someone from the Council, call 01822 813600.
Reduce Fuel Bills
Want social media alerts or need a number to call?
- Looking for information about floods and how to be #floodaware? Follow the Environment Agency - @EnvAgencySW or call the Environment Agency Floodline on 0345 988 1188.
- Is there a storm approaching? Follow @metofficestorms or @metofficeSWEng - alternatively you can call the Met Office main hotline on 0370 900 0100.
- Worried about the road network in bad weather, check in with @Devonalerts and @highwaysengland
- Worried about Flu or winter bugs? Go to @NHSSW @UKHealthSecurityAgency - if you have symptoms or want some advice, call NHS 101.
- Suffering with your mental health and want some support? Contact the Samaritans by going to @Samaritans or calling 116 123 24/7.
Issued 23 November 2021