Privacy Notice - Workforce Information
We take your privacy very seriously. This notice sets out what we will do with your personal information and who we may share it with.
How we use your information
We collect and retain personal information, in various formats, about our current and potential future staff ("staff data") for a variety of purposes. We will use staff data for all purposes associated with the administration of the employer/ employee relationship.
The purposes for which we may use staff data (including sensitive personal information) we collect during an employee's association with us include:-
- Recruitment and selection
- Employment matters (promotion, probation, development, conduct, capability, attendance, appraisals and discussions with your managers, grievance, training, misconduct investigations, disciplinary actions and complaints)
- Maintaining staff records
- Administering finance (salary, pensions and other staff benefits you may choose to take up)
- Providing employee assistance (through the Employee Assistance Programme, Occupational Health Services (through MediGold Ltd) and similar related services)
- Providing IT Services to you in connection to your work (using your name to set up your email account and login details)
- Complying with statutory requirements (e.g. monitoring equal opportunities and equal pay, processing HMRC returns etc)
The personal information you provide will not be used for any other purpose unless required by law, to prevent or detect crime or to protect public funds.
Processing your information
The Council will process your information under the following legal basis:
- For the performance of a contract and;
- Legitimate Interests
Who we will share your personal information with
It is necessary for your personal information to be shared with other organisations in order for us to deliver HR and Payroll services to you.
- MediGold Limited will receive personal information about you in order to assess your fitness to commence work with the Council and in the event that the Council requires an Occupational Health assessment to be undertaken
- If you are a member of the LG Pension Scheme, Peninsula Pensions will hold your Name, Address, Date of Birth, National Insurance Number in order to provide pensions administration services
- Hastee will receive your name and work email-address in order to assess their salary benefit scheme
- Ability Smart will receive your name and work e-mail address in order to grant you access to the Microbreaks product
- If you are a member of a trade union we will provide them with your name and employee number in order that trade union subscription fees can be managed
- Additionally the information will be shared between West Devon Borough Council and South Hams District Council in connection with the shared services working arrangement
Length of time we keep your information
For job applicants that are not successful, we keep your personal information on our systems for 6 months from the date you submit your application. Information is then deleted.
For employees, West Devon Borough Council and South Hams District Council will keep your personal information on our personnel files for a period of 6 years from the date your employment is ended with the Council and will delete or destroy it at the end of that period.
For individuals that are Members of the pension scheme, your personal data will be held whilst you are entitled to any benefit from the Scheme (including a deferred benefit). Retention &
Transferring of data outside of the EU
We hold personal information about staff securely, both in hard copy format and electronically.
Your personal data will be kept secure by the Council and will be kept within the European Economic Union (EEU).
You have a number of rights under the General Data Protection Regulations. These can be found on the ICO website https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/
The Data Controller for your information
The Data Controller for personal data you provide in connection to your employment is West Devon Borough Council, Kilworthy Park, Drake Road, Tavistock PL19 0BZ or South Hams District Council, Follaton House, Plymouth Road, Totnes, Devon TQ9 5NE (depending on which Council employs you)
Data Protection Officer
The Council has a duty to appoint a Data Protection Officer. The Council's nominated Data Protection Officer can be contacted through email@example.com or by writing to the addresses above.
If you have any queries, would like to exercise your rights or make a complaint, contact the Data Protection Officer by
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 01803 861234 or
- Write to them at the addresses above
Information Commissioner's Details
If you are not happy with how we have handled your complaint, you have the right to contact the Information Commissioner's Office to make a complaint about what we do with your information:
- Telephone them on 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number
- Visit their website at www.ico.org.uk
- Write to them at
Information Commissioner's Office
Cheshire SK9 5AF