If there is no one living in your property, or if it is undergoing major structural repair, you may be able to receive a discount or exemption from paying Council Tax.

If your property has been empty and unfurnished for a period of 2 years or greater (even if you have not owned it for that long), you may be subject to a Premium of an additional 50% charge added on to your Council Tax bill.

How do I apply?

If you think your property may qualify for a discount or exemption, please complete this form.

If you have just purchased a property or taken on a tenancy, and have not yet registered for Council Tax, please click here where you can complete a form to give us all of the details together.

Does my property qualify?

Reason why the property is emptyAmount and period of discount or exemption
Substantially unfurnishedUp to 1 month 100% discount.  All discount periods start from the date the furniture is removed from the property rather than from the date ownership or council tax liability changes.
Owned by a registered charityUp to six months exemption
The occupier is in prisonExempt until the person is released from prison
The occupiers are receiving personal care in a hospital or a care/nursing homeExempt whilst the person receiving care is away from the property.  (Provided that it is not just a temporary absence, in which case Council Tax would still be payable)
Someone who has moved to provide care to another personExempt whilst the person providing personal care is away from the property and providing that personal care.
Someone has passed away, the property is unoccupied and awaiting probate or letters of administration to be grantedIf someone who paid Council Tax for a property has passed away and the property is now unoccupied it will be exempt. This exemption will last until probate has been granted and then for a maximum of 6 months afterwards. The exemption will end earlier if the dwelling is sold, transferred to a new owner/beneficiary, or let.
The property has been repossessed and is owned by the mortgage companyExempt until the property is sold or otherwise disposed of by the mortgage company
The law has said it must not be lived inExempt until the legal restriction is lifted
Waiting to be lived in by a minister of religionExempt until the minister occupies the property
The occupier(s) are students who live elsewhere to carry out their courseExempt whilst the students are within the period of their course
Cannot be let separately because there is a planning restriction on its occupationExempt whilst the planning restriction remains in force
Undergoing structural alterations or major repairs and are uninhabitableUp to 12 months 50% discount
Newly built dwellings

Up to 1 month 100% discount can be awarded before a full charge for an unoccupied property will become due.
Any exemption/ discount start date will be the date notified to you in a Completion Notice issued by the Council, stating the date for Council Tax purposes that the property will be deemed to be complete.

Second homesNo discount.
The owner has to live elsewhere as part of the terms of their employmentA discount of 50%.  There are many conditions on this reduction. Brief requirements are: The Council Tax liability for both properties must be in your name and they must both be in England, Scotland and Wales.  Your contract of employment must require you to live in the exact property that you are paying Council Tax upon.  For service personnel where their work related property is in England, Scotland or Wales but the MOD are responsible for Council Tax contributions on the property, they may still qualify for the reduction on their other property.  Please contact the Council for more information.   
Property empty and unfurnished for 2 years or greaterA premium of an additional 50% will be charged.  This premium is charged once the property has been empty for two years irrespective of changes of ownership during that time.  Please contact the Council for more details and whether the premium will apply to you.

Changes to your circumstances

If the property is re-occupied, please telephone us as soon as possible and we will advise you. If you delay, you may owe more money and have less time to pay us.