Toggle menu

Housing Benefit Appeals

If you think the decision we have made about your benefit is wrong you have a number of options.

You must contact us in writing within one month of receiving your decision letter.

What are my options?

If you do not agree with the decision that we have made about your claim for benefit you have three options:

  • Ask us to explain the decision
  • Ask us to look at the decision again (this is called a review or reconsideration)
  • Make an appeal in writing or by email giving the reasons why you disagree.

What must I do?

  • Your appeal or request for a review must be in writing and you must tell us why you think our decision is wrong and provide any supporting evidence.
  • This must be done within one month of receiving your decision notification letter.
  • If we do not get your request in writing within one month, then we may not be able to look at our decision again.

What Can the Council Look at?

What Can We Review

What Can't We Review

The amount of income and capital used in our calculationsThe Local Housing Allowance for the area you live in
The number of bedrooms you are eligible to claim forThe amount the Government says you need to live on
Refusal to backdate your claim
Overpayment of benefits (the amount and the time period)

How do I appeal?

If you would like to appeal a decision we have made about your benefit please write to us. We aim to deal with appeals within 4 weeks of a written request being received.

If you have asked us to review our decision, we will write to you with an explanation of the decision and any changes that we have made. If you still disagree with the decision you still have the right to appeal.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email