Toggle menu

Landscape, Trees and Hedges

Apply to work on a Protected Tree

If you need to carry out works to a protected tree, you can apply online here.

Ash Dieback Disease

Find more information about Ash Dieback, including where you can get further advice and your responsibilities for any trees on your land.

High Hedge Complaint Form

How to complain about a high hedge.

Hedges in the Countryside

Hedgerows are protected by law. If you wish to remove one in the countryside you must apply to the Council.

Nuisance Hedges in Towns and Villages

If you need to complain about a nuisance hedge, you may be able to apply to the Council under the Anti-Social Behaviour Act.

Dangerous and Nuisance Trees

Information about what you can do if you are concerned about a tree which poses a risk to your property.

Landscape Character Assessment

A Landscape Character Assessment (LCA) has been prepared for South Hams and West Devon in 2018 and replaces the earlier assessments produced in 2007 and 2008.

Protected Trees

The Council has a duty to protect trees that have significant public amenity value. There are five types of tree protection.

Tree Preservation Orders

Protecting trees, copses and woodlands by Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs) served and enforced by the Council.

Request for a Tree Preservation Order

If you wish to ask the Council to consider serving a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) please use this form.

Trees on Development Sites

There is a clear and well-established process for protecting trees in relation to new development.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email