Toggle menu

Dropped Kerbs

Dropped kerbs are kerbs that are lowered to allow vehicles to cross over the pavement to go into a driveway.

If you intend to drive a vehicle over the footway into your driveway off a highway, then you will need a dropped kerb. If you do not have a dropped kerb, you must not drive over the footway. If you do so, you are breaking the law and enforcement action could be taken to prevent such practice. Furthermore:

  • You may become liable from a collision with a pedestrian
  • You may become liable for damage to the footway
  • You may face considerable costs as a result of damage to any utility apparatus under the footway

All new or altered dropped kerbs and verge/footway crossovers must be approved by the Highways Authority at Devon County Council and the work undertaken by an approved contractor.

Use the Buy With Confidence scheme to find a contractor. 

Do I need planning permission?

You must check if you need planning permission before a dropped kerb is installed. 

First you need to find out of a road is classified or unclassified.  Planning permission is usually only required if the road is a classified road or a trunk road. 

Check what class your road is by using the road checker on the Devon County Council website.

You will need planning permission for a dropped kerb if:

  • If your road is Class A, B or C  (You can check what class your road is by using the road checker on the Devon County Council website
  • Your property is divided into flats
  • Your property is in a conservation area and you'd need to remove a gate pillar, wall or fence that's over one metre high
  • You need structural work to make the parking area

My dropped kerb does need planning permission. Now what do I need to do?

Before construction of the dropped kerb can start, the following steps need to be followed:

You must submit it on a standard form, either online or by post.  The simplest way to submit a planning application is online. Click the 'apply online' image below. 

Apply Online at the Planning Portal

Note - As part of the application you need to select and complete Certificate B as you are not the owner of the land where the dropped kerb will be added.

Once you have received your planning permission (this takes approximately 8 weeks), you will need to:

  • Seek approval from the Highways Authority.
  • Choose a contractor.
  • Your chosen contractor applies to the Highways Authority for a licence to construct the dropped kerb.
  • The contractor notifies the Highways Authority when the works will commence.
  • Construction starts, and a Highway Officer inspects the construction during and after completion.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email