If you disagree with the Council's decision to make you liable for Council Tax, you can appeal.

What can I appeal against?

You can appeal if you think:

  • You are being sent Council Tax bills but are not the liable party
  • Your home should be exempt from Council Tax
  • The amount of the bill is incorrect; for example if you think a discount should apply.

You cannot appeal because you think your bill is too expensive.

How do I appeal?

You must write to us stating clearly why you are unhappy with our decision.

Legally, the Council has two months to reconsider our decision; however, we usually reply much more quickly.

You can find the address to write to using the How to find our offices page.

What if I am still unhappy?

You can take your appeal to an independent Valuation Tribunal. You must do this within two months of the date when we notified you of our decision, or if we haven't replied, within four months of the date when you wrote to us with your representations. You can contact the Valuation Tribunal at:

Valuation Tribunal Service

2nd Floor

120 Leman Street


E1 8EU

Tel 0300 123 2035

Email: vtwhitechapel@vts.gsi.gov.uk

What happens next?

  • The Tribunal will ask you to make your appeal in writing
  • If you and any other parties, including the Council agree, your case may be dealt with by exchanging written statements.
  • If any parties do not agree to this, the Tribunal will contact you to arrange a hearing.
  • If the Tribunal decides in your favour, we will amend your bill.
  • There is no charge for a Tribunal hearing, but you may choose to employ a solicitor or other person to present your case.

For more information about this process, go to the Valuation Tribunal's website.