Households where everyone is a full-time student don't have to pay Council Tax. If there is someone in your household who is not a full-time student, you will have to pay Council Tax, but your household might still qualify for a discount.
How do I apply?
If you think you qualify for a student discount or exemption you can apply using our online system. You will need to register the first time you use the system, so please have your Council Tax account number to hand.
Registering is quick and easy, and you will only need to register once.
If you attend a college or university other than:
- Plymouth University
- The University College Plymouth St. Mark & St. John
We will also need to see a copy of the Council Tax Student Certificate for each applicant. You can get a copy from your course administrator. The student certificate must contain the following:
- The name of the educational establishment
- Your name
- The course(s) you are completing
- The number of hours study per week
- The exact start and end date of the course(s) (e.g. 01 September 2018 to 05 June 2019)
- the course reference, if there is one
Do I qualify?
In general, to be classed as a full-time student your course must:
- Last at least one year
- Involve at least 21 hours study per week.
- If you study for a qualification up to A-level and you're under 20, your course must:
- Last at least three months
- Involve at least 12 hours study per week.
How much will I receive?
- If all the members of your household are classed as full-time students, you can apply for a full exemption.
- If you are classed as a full-time student and you live with one other adult who is not a student, you should be eligible for a reduction of 25% of the Council Tax bill.
- If there is more than one adult in the property who is not classed as a full-time student, you will not receive any discount.
If there is any Council Tax to pay, it is the owner or tenant(s) named on the rental agreement who must pay it, irrespective of whether they are classed as a full-time student. It is up to individuals and joint tenants/owners how they decide to share out this bill.
What Happens Next?
We will assess your eligibility and if a discount is awarded, we will send you a revised bill. If you have paid too much Council Tax we will arrange for this to be refunded.