Toggle menu

Apply for Social Housing

The council no longer owns or manages any social housing

All social accommodation is managed by Housing Associations, known as Registered Providers.

Please consider all other housing options, such as low cost home ownership or privately renting particularly if you need to find a home quickly.

Local Allocation Policy

What is Devon Home Choice?

Devon Home Choice is the choice-based letting system for councils in Devon. Rather than homes being allocated by the council, choice-based letting allows tenants and prospective tenants to bid for the available properties they are interested in.

Most people will not be successful in finding a suitable housing association property because demand far outweighs the supply.

Applicants are banded according to their housing need. Vacant properties are advertised weekly and applicants can choose to apply for up to three properties that they are eligible for each week.

How can I apply?

You can apply online through Devon Home Choice and you will need the following information to hand when completing your application:

  • National Insurance numbers for anyone over 16 years old who will be living in the property;
  • Details of your previous addresses;
  • Details of your Income and any savings;

How does it work?

Each week, all available properties are advertised on Devon Home Choice. People looking for social housing in Devon can bid for homes via the website or by phone. The number to call to place a bid is 0845 402 7894*.

* For more information on call charges please see the OFCOM website.

I've heard bad things about Devon Home Choice?

Yes, so have we! There are many myths and misconceptions about Devon Home Choice - from most homes go to people from outside Devon to having to bid at exactly midnight on the website to improve your chance of getting a home. Nearly all of these are untrue.

You can read our Common Myths and Frequently Asked Questions to find the real answers to your questions.

Where can I find help with the form?

If you are unable to complete the form online yourself, you could ask a friend or relative who has internet access. You could also visit your local library and use one of their computers.

There are publicly accessible computers available at our offices at Kilworthy Park, Tavistock. See Visit our offices.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email