Private Hire Vehicle Licence
Private Hire Vehicle
A private hire vehicle is not a "taxi". The only legal method of operation for a private hire vehicle is to accept pre-booked fares.
Only the holder of a Private Hire Operator's Licence may accept these bookings, never the driver.
The Operator's Licence must be issued by the same Licensing Authority as issued the vehicle licence and the driver licence.
A private hire vehicle can be clearly identified by the following
A dark blue colour licence plate located at the rear of the vehicle stating:
- The licence number of the vehicle.
- The registration number of the vehicle.
- The make, model and colour of the vehicle.
- The licence expiry date.
- The maximum number of passengers to be carried at any one time.
A small licence badge at the front of the vehicle (this will be located inside the vehicle) listing the registration number, the licence number and the expiry date of the licence.
Vehicles must comply with all relevant licensing and pre-licensing conditions.
Applicants are strongly advised to contact the Licensing Team to discuss the suitability of your vehicle before making your application.
To submit an application the following documents are required:
- Completed application form
- Valid vehicle insurance certificate including cover for private hire
- Proof of public liability insurance cover (original certificate or cover note)
- Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5)
- Taxi Vehicle Test Report
- MOT Certificate (issued within the last 30 days)
- A vehicle test certificate in accordance with the FTA testing standards (issued within the last 30 days)
- Confirmation of the Vehicle Euro - NCAP Rating. This can be found here.
Once the applicant has all of these documents they will need to complete an application, pay the appropriate fee and if the vehicle is more than 10 years old must make an appointment to attend a vehicle inspection at the Council.
For more information regarding vehicle licensing requirements please see section 17 of the policy which can be found in the downloads section of this page.
If you would like information on licensing wheelchair accessible vehicles please click here.
Please contact Licensing by emailing email@example.com
The application form and guidance can be found in the Downloads on the right side of this page.
For fees please see the Licensing Fees pages.