Employers have a responsibility to report certain accidents or incidents at your place of work.


Why it is important to report accidents

  • Reporting accidents and ill health at work is a legal requirement 

  • The information enables us to identify where and how risks arise 

  • It enables us to investigate serious accidents 

  • We can then help you and provide advice on how to reduce injury and ill health in your workplace 

  • The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR), places a legal duty to report accidents or incidents on:

    • Employers 

    •  Self-employed people 

 People in control of premises.

HSE - Reporting an accident (Employers)



Incidents that should be reported

RIDDOR applies to all work activities, but not all incidents are reportable. You must report:

  • Deaths 

  • Major injuries 

  • Over-seven-day injuries - where an employee or self-employed person is away from work or unable to perform their normal work duties for more than seven consecutive days 

  • Injuries to members of the public or people not at work, where they have been taken from the scene of an accident to hospital 

  • Some work-related diseases 

Dangerous incidents. Where something happens that does not result in an injury, but could have done.

For more detailed information

HSE - What I must report

How to report an accident or incident:

HSE - Reporting an accident (Employers)

All incidents can be reported online but a telephone service is also provided for reporting fatal/specified, and major incidents only - call the Incident Contact Centre on 0345 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 5 pm).

Accident Book:

An accident book can be used to record work-related injuries. You can purchase a book via the Accident book page.