Toggle menu

Health and Safety in the Workplace

We can offer health and safety advice to you and your business. We inspect business premises and investigate accidents or complaints.

What is our role in Health and Safety at Work?

Health and Safety enforcement is split between the Council (Local Authority or LA) and the Health & Safety Executive (HSE).

The HSE is responsible for

  • temporary mobile and fixed accommodation for farmworkers,
  • care premises,
  • agricultural activities and shows,
  • construction sites and projects,
  • crematoria,
  • Crown Premises,
  • Defence Activities,
  • factories,
  • fairgrounds and
  • fishing vessels.

The Local Authority deals mainly with

  • retail,
  • wholesale distribution and warehousing,
  • hotel and catering premises,
  • offices, and
  • the consumer and leisure industries.

For a full list of Local Authority and HSE responsibilities, please see HSE Enforcement.

What are we responsible for?

We are responsible for enforcing the regulations set out in Health and Safety Law. This helps protect the health, safety and well-being of business employees or members of the public.

Our responsibilities are:

  • Health and safety inspections 
  • Providing advice and support to prevent accidents in the workplace 
  • Investigating complaints 
  • Taking enforcement action if necessary and appropriate.

We aim to help businesses avoid significant risks by providing advice and guidance.

What happens during an inspection?

During an inspection, we check standards of health, safety and welfare in your business. We will then provide advice, guidance and information on how to prevent people being made ill or injured at work 

Sometimes we may have to take enforcement action to require improvements, including the service of notices and prosecution where appropriate.

You can find more information on the HSE website  - Inspections.

Where can I find information to help me comply with the law?

The HSE site provides basic information on what you need to do in one place. It will help you get started in managing Health and Safety in Your Business.

What if I'm worried about health and safety in the workplace?

If you consider that your employer or someone else's work activity is putting your safety at risk or damaging your health, speak to your employer and/or contact your work safety representative 

If the problem is not resolved, speak to the relevant enforcing authority.

To check who is responsible for enforcement in your workplace, please use this link.

How can I report breaches, or a Health and Safety Issue?

You can report to the HSE using the website  Contact HSE.

Contact us if you think we are the enforcing authority. We may ask the employer to investigate your complaint or we may investigate ourselves. Please email

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email