We hope you never have to make a complaint about the conduct of a West Devon Borough co-opted member or a West Devon Parish or Town Councillor.

But if you do, it must be made in writing to The Monitoring Officer, West Devon Borough Council.

The Localism Act 2011 requires the Council to

The Code of Conduct

The Code deals with conduct expected of councillors when they are acting in an official capacity. The Code also includes provisions for registering and declaring pecuniary and other interests.

Town and Parish Councils must also adopt their own Code of Conduct and copies are available from the Clerk to the Town or Parish Council.

Arrangements for dealing with Complaints

The complaint will be dealt with by the Monitoring Officer and/or the Standards Committee in consultation with the Independent Person.

The Standards Committee

The Standards Committee has overall responsibility for the Code of Conduct and related standards functions under the Localism Act 2011. The Standards Committee has the ability to appoint sub-committees of three Members to deal with specific complaints.

Independent Person

The Council has appointed three Independent Persons. The Independent Person is not a member of the Council and their role is advisory and consultative. Their names are as follows:

Victoria Spence

Mike Fowkes

Martin Gleed

How to complain

Any complaints about the conduct of a West Devon Borough Councillor, co-opted member or a West Devon Parish or Town councillor must be made in writing to the Monitoring officer. 

You can download the complaints form on the right, complete it and return it to MonitoringOfficer@swdevon.gov.uk